Saturday 15 February 2014

Valentine's Vegan

Valentine's Day just happens to be my boyfriend and I's anniversary, this year we decided to treat ourselves and booked into Brighton's top notch veggie restaurant Terre a Terre. Well I say treat ourselves, we had vouchers so it wouldn't cost us anything - talk about a win win situation! :)

The Valentine's menu was very tempting with lots of mouthwatering dishes, all with cute Valentine's inspired names! Both the starter and dessert dishes were sharers, leaving us only one difficult decision - the main! I chose 'Kelp, I Need Somebody'!

Getting started

But first our starter of 'Slap and Pickle'...

This contested of 'Brûlée Vous' - which was Jerusalem artichokes served with bay cream, pickled Jerusalem artichokes, deep fried with Poire William and raisin relish.

And.. Arepas Chilli Candy - which was deep fried corn cakes rolled on spice dust served with chilli chelly jelly, avocado hash, oregano and lime mojo and a candied chilli. Phew.

Plus there was a mini Truffle Porcini and Chestnut soup with fennel seed tempura mushrooms.
I don't think I could have picked a favourite out of all these but the tempura mushrooms were to die for! 

Kelp I Need Somebody

Slow soft sake baked aubergine sizzled with tahini, sesame and white miso finish served with edamame wasabi and yuzo pesto, sesame ginger dressed Arame Wakame vegetable thread salad and a hibiscus, amchur, nori salt dusted puffed rice seaweed cracker.

Wow! Notice how the cracker looks like a shark fin hee hee! I have to admit this was really rich, so I did start to struggle towards the end, particularly with the aubergine, but worry not, my other half polished up the last of it. I love wakame salad and the cracker was really tasty, with a wonderful texture.


Sweet endings

Dessert! Orgy Porgy Pudding and Pie sharing platter - I thought I was full but apparently not - I still made an excellent dent in this little lot!

Spice up your life - Coconut milk, saffron rice pudding.
Miss Marble - Snappy pistachio wafers served with snow balls. Kalamansi clementine spiced ice, almond amaretto freeze, coconut rum balls and sparkles. 
Armagnac Tartine - Rich prune and chocolate almond Tartine served with cream finished with apple and pear syrup, prune purée, apple snaps and pumpkin seed praline.


The Miss Marble was really exciting. I know that popping candy is all the rage in gourmet deserts but I'd yet to try it and this was a wonderful surprise! So fun to eat! I also adored the Tartine. I literally couldn't eat another bite after this and almost had to be airlifted home.

Well done Terre a Terre for another amazing food experience!

If you've not been before then check out their website for their regular menu

No comments:

Post a Comment